Monday, March 21, 2011

Exceeding my low expectations

I got a haircut the other day. I'd been procrastinating. Haircuts here can be awkward and occasionally painful chores, where I submit to a barrage of questions in another language from people I can't see very well (as I'm not wearing my glasses) while I get a mediocre haircut followed by a complimentary post-haircut massage that sometimes includes flicking my eyelids.

And then I found this little place about a 10 minute walk from home where the shop owner did a fairly competent job and we had friendly and less intense conversation than normal. In fact, it was a really lovely conversation, and at the end he said I should come visit his family home in the village sometime. And then he turned down my tip. Turned it down completely.

When was the last time your haircut cost less than 50 cents and you got invited to go to the barber's family home?

Sometimes this place just makes me smile.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Can totally understand about the awkwardness of it all...while I feel that my language has come along there are still times when I am not sure what to talk about or what is being asked me...It is a strange thing but the beauty in all of it comes in those moments when it becomes clear and God blesses us with the words to speak and the mind to understand even if it is just a phrase or two during the day:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture you painted. I'm kind of missing my barber shop, but at $20+ with tip, I will continue at home and miss those conservations.
Dad

Anonymous said...

What a delightful story, Kenny! I truly enjoyed reading this. I just got caught up on the rest of your blogs. "Sabbath Unrest" was a great metaphor. Love you.
Aunt Beth

merhiser said...

I'm a little intrigued by the "flicking eyebrows" part. :)