Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why I Should Talk to More Strangers

Today while exploring Bangkok I passed by a cute little bookstore (with coffee) and thought I should go back there. 5 minutes later I was thinking... why didn't I just stop?

After a couple hours walking around in the afternoon heat (and discovering the most incredibly huge market of fabrics, ribbons, beads, and other fashion 'stuff' ever) I was ready for a break. And decided I might as well retrace my steps and find that little bookstore.

Inside, sipping my iced green tea, a Japanese couple introduced themselves to me. I was discovering that 85% of the selection was in Thai, and while the tea was delicious, and the music was good, the three of us were limited to the English section of the store.

We got to talking and (shocking) we started talking about books. I recommended Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, which I just finished (wonderful!). He recommended Prabda Yoon, author of his favorite movie and a number of novels, who happens to be Thai.

The owner of the (admittedly small) shop was listening and turns out, she knows him. Like, really knows him. She gets out her cell phone and rings up this guy's favorite author and hands the phone to him. They arranged to meet tomorrow.

In short what was just a random conversation amongst strangers totally made my day. And probably made this guy's whole vacation. He gets to meet his favorite author tomorrow, and that's pretty exciting.

So if you're ever in Bangkok near Khao San Road, just head south a bit and check out Candide Books. I'm planning on heading back there tomorrow to have waffles and coffee for breakfast. Can't help but support small, friendly bookstores that not only recommend books but introduce you to your favorite author now and then.

3 comments:

Preserving Pearls said...

That whole thing made me happy. Starting at the 'beads' onwards. Thanks for sharing a beautiful story :-)

merhiser said...

That's a great story Kenny! Glad you found such a sweet spot to spend some time in. Love you!

desiree said...

i've been there, kenny! good bookstore! small small world.