Saturday, August 6, 2011

What Does God Want?

Recently I've started meeting with a nun for spiritual guidance. And it's been pretty fantastic. We've been talking about many different things - life purpose, expectations, sin, catholicism, prayer.

One of the things she's been encouraging me to do is just to ask God, "What do you want from me?".

I've been asking that question in general (God, what do you want from me in life?) and in specific situations (God, what do you want from me in my last two weeks in this country before I take a 3 month home leave?).

I've got a lot of things I want from me in the next two weeks.

I want to spend some good time with my neighbors so I (and they) feel like I've said a proper goodbye before I leave. I want to spend quality time with my team since I won't be seeing them for a few months. I'll be trying to see all the people I've grown close to and spend a little bit more quality time with them. I'll be trying to make sure I don't forget anything I need to take home, gathering a few small gifts, and getting together enough language study material to last me three months. And I want to try to process my year and a half away and prepare for transitioning to my home culture.

But what does God want from me?

I keep coming back to two things. One is Micah 6:8 - God wants me to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with God.

And secondly... I think God is pretty content for me to just be in God's love. I don't think God has a lot in the way of expectations towards me. At least, not the kind that I have towards myself. I carry many expectations for myself (and multiply them every time I see something I think I ought to be doing, or someone doing something I think is worthwhile).

But I think God just loves me how I am, where I am. And that ought to be enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you have found a wonderful spiritual counselor, Kenny. I love the verse from Micah. We should all live by it.
Love you and am praying for you to have a safe journey home. Aunt Beth

Karen Marie said...

Kenny, I really love this post. Safe travels.

Cassandra said...

This feels so real for me. Especially after our conversations on guilt in Doha. Beautiful.